Monday, August 15, 2011

I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!

Do you remember the TV commercials of the grandmother lying on the floor calling out, "I've fallen and I can't get up!" No one was there to help her.  I remember how we laughed at those commercials and thought they were so funny.  Well, they're not so funny any more as our mother fell and broke her hip last week.  She lives alone with her two cats and would not have been able to get to her phone to call for help.  She would have laid on the floor all night in pain and afraid until the morning.  And when she didn't answer her morning check in phone call from my brother, he would have investigated and finally found her.  Fortunately I was visiting and heard her fall.  Mom had surgery the next day and now two days later has moved to Rehab with the goal to go home within two weeks. 

So why have I told you this story?  Well, mom didn't want to wear one of those safety necklaces so that in the event she fell or was having chest pains or any type of emergency, she could alert someone.  I hope now she realizes how important having one is.  This is a reminder to you to make sure your loved ones are safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment